Green Papaya Salad (Som Tam Malakor)
This papaya salad is light and refreshing. I can easily eat a giant bowl of it and be completely satisfied. And as an extra bonus, this salad is pretty healthy. I sometimes add extra chiles because I enjoy a lot of heat. That's what is great about this recipe, it is easily customized to suit individual tastes.
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 2 peppers Thai chiles, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 medium limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 medium green papaya, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ medium carrot, peeled and shredded
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place peanuts on a baking sheet.
- 2. Toast in the preheated oven until fragrant and browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- 3. Grind roasted peanuts, Thai chilies, garlic, dried shrimp, and sugar in a mortar and pestle or food processor. Stir in lime juice and fish sauce to make dressing.
- 4. Toss papaya, tomatoes, green beans, and carrot with dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
serving: 2 servings
calories: 241.7 kcal
carbohydrates: 37.3 g
protein: 8.9 g
saturated fat: 1.4 g
cholesterol: 5.2 mg
sodium: 1126.2 mg
fiber: 7.3 g
sugar: 16.6 g