Indian-Inspired Lentil Stew
A warm and hearty Indian-inspired lentil stew. Perfect for a cold night. The flavors of curry and cumin make this a very tantalizing dish and fill the kitchen with a very aromatic fragrance. This dish is easy to prepare and very yum! I like to serve this over steamed brown rice and with naan.
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small sweet potato (garnet yam), cut into small cubes
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 2 leaf (blank)s bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pint cream
- 1. Combine broth and lentils in a large pot over medium-high heat; bring to a boil.
- 2. Stir in stewed tomatoes, sweet potato, onion, garlic, and bay leaves. Return to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes. Stir in curry powder, cumin seeds, and salt. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 15 minutes.
- 3. Taste to adjust spices. Stir in cream and serve.