Sausage and Kale Stew
A Portuguese-inspired stew with sausage and kale and loads of flavor.
- 1 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound kale, stems removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 russet potato, diced with skin on
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can cannellini beans
- ¼ cup water as needed
- 1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking it up with a fork, until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in onion and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2. Add kale and cook until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and pepper; bring to a simmer. Add vegetable broth and diced potato; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3. Add beans and continue to simmer until beans are warm, 2 to 3 minutes. Add water if needed to keep stew from getting too thick or salty.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 268.3 kcal
carbohydrates: 27.6 g
protein: 13.5 g
saturated fat: 3.8 g
cholesterol: 22.3 mg
sodium: 875.8 mg
fiber: 5.1 g
sugar: 4.3 g