Moroccan Lamb, Lentil, and Chickpea Soup
I made this for my make-ahead cooking group "The Make-Ahead Mamas'" holiday soup swap. The wonderful traditional Moroccan cinnamon-spice combination is lovely with the ground lamb and sweet potatoes, and the chopped apricots or cranberries add a surprising tart sweetness with every few bites. Whenever I make this recipe, I make a double (or triple!) batch and freeze a few portions.
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can organic beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can organic chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 large carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Mix ground lamb, cinnamon, cumin, salt, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, turmeric, and curry powder together in a bowl. Cover and put in the refrigerator for 2 hours to overnight.
- 2. Melt butter in a soup pot over medium-high heat; stir in onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion has softened and turned translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add spiced lamb mixture. Cook and stir until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 3. Add consomme, diced tomatoes, beef broth, chicken broth, and honey. Stir in carrots, sweet potatoes, garbanzo beans, lentils, apricots, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- 4. Bring soup just to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until lentils and vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 381.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 48.6 g
protein: 23.8 g
saturated fat: 4.3 g
cholesterol: 43 mg
sodium: 1303.5 mg
fiber: 12.9 g
sugar: 13.6 g