Vegan Pasta and Lentil Casserole
This dish was inspired by a lot of ingredients and combinations in my head and this is how it played out. I am very happy with the result and can't wait to enjoy this during lunches at work!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 head garlic, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 Japanese eggplant, halved and sliced
- 6 cups diced buttercup squash
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups small pasta shells
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 (.75 ounce) package basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- ½ teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Combine oil, onion, and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook and stir until onion softens, 3 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, Japanese eggplant, and buttercup squash sequentially, stirring well after each addition.
- 2. Stir tomatoes into the Dutch oven. Stir in red lentils; add pasta shells. Pour in stock; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until pasta is almost fully cooked, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure pasta doesn't stick to the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- 3. Mix rice vinegar, soy sauce, and tomato paste together in a small bowl. Pour into the Dutch oven; stir to combine. Stir in nutritional yeast. Add basil, paprika, and black pepper; stir once more.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 475.1 kcal
carbohydrates: 82.7 g
protein: 26.5 g
saturated fat: 0.9 g
sodium: 843.9 mg
fiber: 18.9 g
sugar: 10.5 g