Besara (Egyptian Fava Bean Soup)
Ful beans, broad beans, or fava beans, the name depends on your region, pureed into a delicious and hearty soup that is vegan to boot.
- 3 cups skinless dried fava beans
- 5 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leek (white part only), chopped
- 1 ½ onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Place beans in a large pot with water to cover. Soak 8 hours to overnight.
- 2. Drain beans and return to pot with 5 cups fresh water. Bring to a boil and simmer until soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 3. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, onions, and garlic; saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add to the pot with the beans.
- 4. Add spinach, cumin, salt, and pepper to the soup and cook gently, 15 to 30 minutes more.
- 5. Fill blender halfway with soup. Cover and hold lid down with a potholder; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Pour into a pot. Repeat with remaining soup.
- 6. Heat until warm until ready to serve.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 527.2 kcal
carbohydrates: 77.7 g
protein: 31.2 g
saturated fat: 1.7 g
sodium: 84.4 mg
fiber: 30 g
sugar: 10 g