Savory Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
A real savory squash soup that is not pureed to death!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon butter, or to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- ½ cup shredded carrot, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon celery seed, or to taste
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream, or more to taste
- 2 ounces cream cheese, or more to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- 2. Rub olive oil on cut-side of butternut squash halves; sprinkle each with salt and pepper. Lay squash, cut-side down, on prepared baking sheet.
- 3. Bake squash in the preheated oven until tender, about 1 hour. Scoop squash flesh into a bowl and mash.
- 4. Melt butter in a pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic in melted butter until onion is slightly softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots; cook and stir until carrot and onion are tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 5. Stir mashed squash, marjoram, celery seed, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper into onion mixture; cook and stir until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in chicken stock; bring mixture to a boil.
- 6. Gradually add cream and cream cheese to squash mixture; stir until cream cheese is melted and incorporated. Bring to a simmer and cook until flavors blend, 30 minutes.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 158.3 kcal
carbohydrates: 21.6 g
protein: 3.1 g
saturated fat: 3.9 g
cholesterol: 21.8 mg
sodium: 520.1 mg
fiber: 3.6 g
sugar: 4.9 g