Oven Stew II
This is an easy oven stew that can be doubled or tripled with success. It contains beef, potatoes and other mixed vegetables, all cooked in one pan. Also wonderful the next day.
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds cubed stew meat
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 3 potatoes - peeled and cubed
- ½ (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 2. Place the flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour in the meat, seal the bag and shake well to coat. Spread the oil in the bottom of a 10x15 inch roasting pan, then arrange the meat in a single layer in the pan.
- 3. Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
- 4. Remove from oven and add the tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, peas, water, onion soup mix, salt and ground black pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon, cover and return to the oven.
- 5. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or to desired tenderness.
serving: 4 to 6 servings
calories: 708.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 45.4 g
protein: 39.5 g
saturated fat: 15 g
cholesterol: 121.6 mg
sodium: 1322.7 mg
fiber: 7.1 g
sugar: 8.6 g