Fried Zucchini Squash Blossoms
I have been making and eating zucchini blossoms for as long as I can remember. My nana would make sure my grandfather picked them as soon as they were perfect! As a little girl we would fill them with ricotta and mozzarella cheese, but I am going to share a delicious paleo recipe for you to enjoy.
- 6 zucchini blossoms, or more to taste
- ⅓ cup soft goat cheese, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 scallion, diced
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup arrowroot powder
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted, or as needed
- sea salt to taste
- 1. Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice.
- 2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add zucchini blossoms and cook until slightly wilted, about 20 seconds. Drain in a colander and immediately immerse in ice water for several minutes to stop the cooking process. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- 3. Mix goat cheese, egg yolk, scallion, pepper, and cayenne in a bowl until smooth.
- 4. Spoon filling into a resealable plastic bag and seal, squeezing out as much air as possible. Cut a small corner off the bag. Pipe about 1 tablespoon of the filling into each zucchini blossom. Fold petals over to cover filling. Arrange on a plate.
- 5. Refrigerate filled zucchini blossoms until cheese is set and firm, at least 45 minutes.
- 6. Mix tapioca flour and arrowroot powder together in a shallow dish.
- 7. Pour coconut oil into a cast iron skillet to a depth of 1 inch. Heat until a thermometer inserted into the oil reads 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 8. Dredge cold zucchini blossoms lightly in tapioca flour mixture, shaking off excess. Fry in hot oil until golden, about 1 minute. Flip with tongs and fry until golden on second side, about 1 minute more. Remove zucchini blossoms to drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Season with sea salt.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 464.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 37.2 g
protein: 5.1 g
saturated fat: 27.9 g
cholesterol: 66.1 mg
sodium: 181.2 mg
fiber: 0.2 g
sugar: 0.6 g