Broccoli Salad with Red Grapes, Bacon, and Sunflower Seeds
Try a flavor from the beaches of the eastern shore. This refreshing yet hearty family recipe has been adopted into the families of all of our friends. We never steam a bushel of crabs without having a huge bowl of this salad and corn on the cob on the table. This dish is simply mandatory at every BBQ, potluck or pitch-in event. Give it a try!
- 8 slices bacon
- ⅓ cup sunflower seed kernels
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels. Crumble 7 slices of bacon; mix with sunflower seeds in a resealable bag.
- 2. Combine broccoli, onion, and grapes in a bowl.
- 3. Crumble the remaining bacon slice. Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and black pepper together in a bowl; fold in the 1 slice crumbled bacon. Pour dressing over broccoli mixture; toss to coat evenly. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for flavors to blend, about 2 hours.
- 4. Sprinkle bacon-sunflower seed mixture over salad before serving; mix well.