Pontevedra-Style Spanish Chicken
My grandparents came from Pontevedra, Spain in 1920 through Ellis Island and brought this recipe with them. I grew up eating this dish and my children just love it. Of course, they never measured anything, so the measurements are just an estimate.
- 1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 cups olive oil
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 head roasted garlic, minced
- ¼ cup sweet Pimenton de la Vera (Spanish smoked paprika)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2. Place the chicken pieces in a roasting pan skin-side down. Pour the olive oil and melted butter over the chicken. Sprinkle the pieces with minced roasted garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- 3. Roast in the preheated oven for 35 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces skin-side up and roast until the chicken is done and the skin is crispy, about 25 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the meat should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- 4. Serve the chicken pieces with the sauce on the side for dipping.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 1041.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 5.6 g
protein: 38.4 g
saturated fat: 22.4 g
cholesterol: 154.3 mg
sodium: 223.3 mg
fiber: 1.1 g
sugar: 0.2 g