Sourdough Soft Pretzels
Soft, buttery hand-rolled and twisted soft pretzels made with the tang of sourdough. For more tried and true recipes, please visit my blog: Jennifer Cooks.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unfed sourdough starter
- ¾ cup lukewarm water, or more as needed
- ¼ cup powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Combine flour, sourdough starter, water, powdered milk, butter, brown sugar, yeast, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix until dough comes together. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if dough is dry.
- 2. Remove dough from the bowl and shape into a ball. Clean and dry bowl; grease lightly. Return dough to the bowl. Cover and let rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
- 3. Turn dough out onto a lightly greased surface. Fold and shape into a rectangle. Divide equally into 12 pieces. Keep pieces covered with plastic wrap while working. Roll out 1 piece at a time into a rope about 18 inches long.
- 4. Loop and twist 1 rope into a pretzel shape. Place on a baking sheet while you finish rolling out and shaping the remaining pretzels.
- 5. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- 6. Bring 3 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in baking soda until dissolved. Lower 1 pretzel into the boiling water bath for 30 seconds, flipping halfway through. Remove using a large flat spatula and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pretzels.
- 7. Beat egg with 1 tablespoon water to make egg wash. Brush each pretzel with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- 8. Bake in the preheated oven until dark golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush each pretzel with melted butter. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
serving: 12 large pretzels
calories: 225.3 kcal
carbohydrates: 33.3 g
protein: 6.3 g
saturated fat: 4.3 g
cholesterol: 33.5 mg
sodium: 1715.7 mg
fiber: 1.5 g
sugar: 3.8 g