Pasta with Chicken, Bacon, and Summer Vegetables
This is a perfect summer dish when the vegetables are in season and you have leftover grilled chicken and some bacon in the fridge.
- ¾ pound penne pasta
- 4 strips bacon, diced into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 (10 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pound grilled chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until crispy, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon grease in the skillet.
- 2. Add onion to the skillet over medium heat. Cook until golden, 5 to 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook until browned, about 10 minutes more. Add grilled chicken and zucchini to the skillet and cook until zucchini are cooked through, yet still firm, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- 3. Remove skillet from heat, add tomatoes, and let sit until tomatoes are warm, about 5 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- 5. Combine vegetable mixture with drained pasta. Stir in Parmesan cheese and season with black pepper.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 663.1 kcal
carbohydrates: 73.7 g
protein: 53.9 g
saturated fat: 5.9 g
cholesterol: 104.1 mg
sodium: 461.5 mg
fiber: 5.8 g
sugar: 6.5 g