Italian cookies eaten at Easter, Christmas, and special occasions. Delicious also without the icing.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 cup white sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, or more as needed
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 envelope vanilla powder
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2. Beat eggs in a large bowl using an electric mixer until fluffy. Add oil, orange zest, and juice; mix well. Beat in sugar slowly.
- 3. Combine flour, baking powder, and vanilla powder in a separate bowl. Slowly add to the egg mixture, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat until almost blended; mix the rest by hand.
- 4. Roll dough into 2 ropes; cut into 3- to 4-inch pieces. Twist 2 pieces together or roll individual ropes into circles to make round cookies.
- 5. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- 6. Bake in the preheated oven until edges are golden but cookies are not yet brown, about 10 minutes. Let cookies cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
- 7. Meanwhile, slowly mix lemon juice into a bowl of confectioners' sugar to make a runny icing. Line a few trays with waxed paper. Dip cooled cookies into the icing and transfer them onto the trays to harden.
serving: 24 cookies
calories: 269.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 40 g
protein: 4.3 g
saturated fat: 1.9 g
cholesterol: 46.5 mg
sodium: 262 mg
fiber: 0.8 g
sugar: 19.1 g