Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
This is a marvelously smooth mac and cheese with a bit of a bite. My family loves this. I got the idea from a recipe made on a popular cooking show, and adapted it to my own recipe and tastes. Delicious contrast if served with a 'sweet' main dish.
- 1 (16 ounce) package seashell pasta
- 2 ½ tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 10 inch casserole dish.
- 2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- 3. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook until a roux forms. Stir in the milk, salt and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is smooth and thick and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- 4. Combine cooked pasta and cheese sauce; transfer to prepared dish.
- 5. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 328.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 46.2 g
protein: 13.8 g
saturated fat: 6 g
cholesterol: 31.8 mg
sodium: 321.2 mg
fiber: 2 g
sugar: 5.8 g