Jan's Ham and Egg Breakfast Strata
This recipe was first served to me 35 years ago while up North snowmobiling with a number of families. Now it typically gets served Christmas morning and on Memorial Day weekend while up North with friends. This is always a crowd pleaser and makes great leftovers.
- 18 slices sandwich bread
- 3 cups bite-sized cooked ham
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon onion salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 cups crushed corn flakes
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1. Grease a 9x12-inch baking pan with butter. Combine Cheddar cheese and Swiss cheese in a bowl.
- 2. Remove and discard bread crusts. Arrange 1/2 the bread on the bottom of the pan. Top evenly with 1/2 the ham and then 1/2 the cheese mixture. Repeat layers of bread, ham, and cheese mixture.
- 3. Combine eggs, milk, onion salt, and dry mustard in a bowl. Pour over layers in the baking pan, cover, and refrigerate strata 8 hours to overnight.
- 4. The next morning, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Remove strata from the refrigerator and uncover.
- 5. Combine corn flakes and melted butter in a bowl and pour evenly over strata.
- 6. Bake in the preheated oven until set, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and let strata sit for 10 minutes before serving.
serving: 12 servings
calories: 486.6 kcal
carbohydrates: 29.4 g
protein: 24.3 g
saturated fat: 16.2 g
cholesterol: 163.2 mg
sodium: 1078.8 mg
fiber: 1.1 g
sugar: 5.7 g