Italian Lemon Ice
As kids my grandmother used to always make this Italian lemon ice on hot summer days. We loved them and now my kids love them too. The adult version is tasty too!
- 5 cups water
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 12 leaves fresh mint, or as needed
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 fluid ounce raspberry-flavored liqueur (such as Chambord®)
- 1. Whisk water, sugar, and lemon zest together in a medium saucepan, then bring to a boil over high heat. Continue to whisk and boil for 5 minutes. Let mixture cool for 10 minutes. Whisk in lemon juice.
- 2. Transfer mixture to an 8x8-inch pan and freeze for 1 1/2 hours.
- 3. Remove pan from the freezer and stir with a fork to break up the ice. Freeze again for 3 hours. Scrape and mix ice into shavings with a fork.
- 4. Serve in chilled glasses garnished with mint and lemon wedges. Top with raspberry-flavored liqueur as a little something extra for adults.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 115.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 29.2 g
protein: 0.4 g
sodium: 7.2 mg
fiber: 1.1 g
sugar: 25 g