Fresh shrimp are butterflied then stuffed with cheese and roasted red pepper before wrapping in proscuitto. A panko breading finishes these off before they get fried into crunchy goodness.
- 24 medium shrimp, peeled and butterflied
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into strips
- 12 thin slices prosciutto
- 1 jarred roasted red pepper, drained and cut into strips
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1. Lay out the shrimp on a clean surface so the two halves are spread open like a book. Place a strip of mozzarella cheese in the center, then a strip of roasted pepper. Close the shrimp and wrap each one with a slice of prosciutto.
- 2. Place the flour in a small dish. In a separate dish, whisk together the egg, water and salt with a fork. Place the panko crumbs in a third dish. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat or until it reaches 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Dip the wrapped shrimp in flour to coat, then dip in the egg mixture. Roll in the panko crumbs until evenly coated.
- 3. Fry the shrimp in the hot oil until golden brown and cheese is melting, about 1 minute per side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels before serving.
serving: 10 servings
calories: 198.3 kcal
carbohydrates: 13.3 g
protein: 9.1 g
saturated fat: 3.9 g
cholesterol: 56.9 mg
sodium: 302.9 mg
fiber: 0.2 g
sugar: 0.6 g