Fruishi Spring Rolls
These are a fun and healthy treats for breakfast, dessert, or a party appetizer. Easily adaptable to suit any taste and any season. Great for vegetarians. The prep and cooking times are approximate and account for blanching fruits and slicing. Next time I will try different fruits and preserve flavors, and maybe candied bananas instead of rice.
- 2 large fresh peaches
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 1 cup short-grain sushi rice
- 3 ½ tablespoons cream of coconut
- 1 pinch salt
- 10 rice paper wrappers
- 1 cup plum preserves
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 large seedless oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 large grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, or as desired
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt, or more to taste
- 1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the peaches and cook uncovered until peel starts to come away, about 1 minute. Immediately immerse peaches in ice water for several minutes until cold to stop the cooking process. Once the peaches are cold remove from ice water; peel and discard peach skins and cut peaches into wedges.
- 2. Bring water, rice, cream of coconut, and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Uncover saucepan and cool rice completely.
- 3. Gently rinse rice paper wrapper until cool water and lay on a flat work surface. Spoon 2 tablespoons cooked rice in a line slightly off-center on the wrapper. Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons of plum preserves over the rice. Spread a layer of strawberry slices atop the preserves, a layer of peaches atop the strawberries, a layer of orange sections atop the peaches, a layer of grapefruit atop the oranges, and fresh mint leaves atop the grapefruit. Fold opposing edges of the wrapper to overlap the filling. Roll 1 of the opposing edges around the filling into a burrito shape. Repeat with remaining wrappers, rice, and fruit. Cut rolls in half and serve with yogurt for dipping.
serving: 10 servings
calories: 267.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 60.7 g
protein: 3.7 g
saturated fat: 1.2 g
cholesterol: 1.2 mg
sodium: 22.5 mg
fiber: 2.6 g
sugar: 36.7 g