Oh-So-Good Chicken Vegetable Soup
A hearty and healthy soup loaded with flavor and comfort.
- 4 cups water
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- ½ onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth
- 1 head broccoli, trimmed and chopped
- ¼ head cauliflower, trimmed and chopped
- 1 zucchini, trimmed and chopped
- 1. Place water and chicken thighs in a pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes. Occasionally skim off scum as it forms.
- 2. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir carrots and onions until they begin to soften, 3 or 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and salt; cook for 1 minute.
- 3. Transfer chicken and cooking water to large pot. Add chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover, leaving lid slightly ajar, and simmer at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours. Remove from heat.
- 4. Transfer chicken to a work surface. Remove skin, bones, and cartilage. Shred chicken meat using 2 forks. Return chicken to pot. Add broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini. Bring back to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat so soup gently simmers. Cook until vegetables are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 205.9 kcal
carbohydrates: 8 g
protein: 15.9 g
saturated fat: 2.9 g
cholesterol: 50.9 mg
sodium: 1049 mg
fiber: 2.4 g
sugar: 3.4 g