Honeydear's Holiday Pineapple Baked Ham
This is a delicious pineapple baked ham featuring a strawberry-brown sugar and mustard glaze! This was my mother's traditional holiday ham that was always a hit. I don't typically measure but adjust to taste. And don't discard the ham drippings! Use it to add flavor to your favorite green bean or greens recipe. Garnish with maraschino cherries or strawberries. Enjoy!
- 1 (12 pound) bone-in ham, or more to taste
- 40 whole cloves
- 1 (21 ounce) can strawberry pie filling
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced pineapple, juice reserved, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Pour 1 inch of water into a baking dish.
- 2. Place ham flat-side down into the baking dish. Slice diagonal squares over the top. Insert cloves into the diagonal points.
- 3. Combine pie filling, brown sugar, and mustard in a bowl, mashing the strawberries as you stir.
- 4. Mix 2 tablespoons pineapple juice from the can with cornstarch in a separate bowl; add to the strawberry mixture. Stir; final texture should be fairly thick. Spread mixture over the ham. Pour remaining pineapple juice on top, taking care not to rinse off the glaze. Tent ham with aluminum foil to help retain moisture.
- 5. Bake in the preheated oven, basting ham occasionally with the juices, until an instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone reads at least 130 degrees F (54 degrees C), 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours.
- 6. Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- 7. Anchor pineapple slices with toothpicks onto ham. Broil in the oven until slightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- 8. Remove ham from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing from the smallest end to the center.