Tender little bread dumplings in a chicken broth make this a special treat.
- 8 slices day-old bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Remove crusts from day old bread and crumble stale slices into a medium bowl. Mix in the butter, egg, salt and pepper until dough forms. Knead until the dough can be formed into balls. Form balls 3/4 inch in diameter, the recipe should make about 30 balls.
- 2. Heat the chicken broth to boiling in a large saucepan or stockpot. Drop balls into the broth and simmer for 10 minutes, or until balls rise to the top. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 166.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 18 g
protein: 4.7 g
saturated fat: 4.1 g
cholesterol: 51.2 mg
sodium: 1315.1 mg
fiber: 0.8 g
sugar: 2.5 g