Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
These chocolate cinnamon rolls are more complicated than most, but they're fantastic and worth the effort.
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water (105 to115 degrees F/40 to 45 degrees C)
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour, or more as needed
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
- 1 cup white sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs eggs
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, or to taste, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Dissolve yeast in warm water in a mixing bowl. Stir in 2 1/2 cups flour, cocoa, shortening, milk, 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- 2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turn greased side-up, and cover. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease two 9x13-inch baking pans.
- 4. Punch down dough and divide in half. Roll each half into a 15x9-inch rectangle. Spread each rectangle with 2 tablespoons butter. Mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon together in a bowl. Sprinkle half of the mix over each rectangle. Roll up, beginning at the wide side; pinch edges of dough into the roll to seal well. Stretch the roll to make even.
- 5. Cut each roll into 15 slices. Place slightly apart in the prepared pans. Let rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- 6. Bake in the preheated oven until golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 7. While rolls bake, mix confectioners' sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth. Frost rolls while still warm.
serving: 2 1/2 dozen rolls
calories: 178.6 kcal
carbohydrates: 28.9 g
protein: 3.1 g
saturated fat: 2 g
cholesterol: 16.8 mg
sodium: 95.8 mg
fiber: 1.2 g
sugar: 12.8 g