Homemade Saffron Pasta
Fragrant and colorful fresh egg pasta infused with saffron. Roll out in thin sheets with or without a pasta machine, then bake directly in a lasagna with bolognese or bechamel sauce, or make tagliatelle and serve with your favorite sauce.
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 ½ cups Italian-style tipo 00 flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1. Soak saffron threads in hot water for 30 minutes.
- 2. Place flour on a marble or wooden work surface. Make a well in the center and crack in eggs; add salt and saffron water. Gently beat eggs, saffron, and water using a fork, incorporating the surrounding flour, until mixture is runny. Pull remaining flour into the center using a bench scraper, incorporating it until dough forms a ball. Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if dough is too stiff.
- 3. Knead dough with your hands by flattening the ball, stretching it, and folding the top towards the center. Turn 45 degrees and repeat until dough is soft and smooth, about 10 minutes.
- 4. Shape dough into a ball. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- 5. Roll out the dough with a pasta machine or with a rolling pin and cut into lasagna sheets or tagliatelle.
serving: 1 pound fresh pasta dough
calories: 325.1 kcal
carbohydrates: 54.8 g
protein: 13.7 g
saturated fat: 1.3 g
cholesterol: 139.5 mg
sodium: 93.4 mg
fiber: 1.8 g
sugar: 0.5 g