Kimmy's Favorite Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet, tangy, and satisfying. The chicken is stir fried instead of battered and deep fried, and is served with a yummy sauce, bell pepper, carrots, onion, and pineapple over rice.
- 1 pound chicken, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks - drained with juice reserved
- ⅓ cup tomato soup
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ onion, cut into chunks
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced
- 1. Marinate chicken cubes in soy sauce in a bowl for 30 minutes.
- 2. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- 3. Remove chicken from soy sauce and cook and stir in the heated skillet until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear.
- 4. Remove chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- 5. Heat vinegar, sugar and 1/2 cup water together over medium heat in the same skillet until the sugar dissolves.
- 6. Combine cornstarch and 1/2 cup water in a bowl and add to the vinegar mixture.
- 7. Stir mixture and lower heat to medium-low.
- 8. Pour pineapple juice and tomato soup into vinegar mixture and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- 9. Stir in carrots, onion, and bell pepper.
- 10. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes; until sauce is reddish-yellow and the vegetables are cooked.
- 11. Add the pineapple chunks and cooked chicken to the sauce and heat for 2 to 4 minutes.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 432.1 kcal
carbohydrates: 59.8 g
protein: 28.3 g
saturated fat: 1.5 g
cholesterol: 65.9 mg
sodium: 1109.4 mg
fiber: 1.7 g
sugar: 49.3 g