Witlof with Ham
This is a great appetizer using Witlof, commonly known as Belgian endive, which is also popular in the Netherlands. This is basic to cook and very tasty.
- 4 medium heads Belgian endive
- 4 (1/2 ounce) slices prosciutto
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1. Preheat a grill to medium heat. When the grill is ready, lightly brush the grate with oil.
- 2. Place the endive in a shallow baking dish with 1/4 cup of water. Cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 2 minutes, or until slightly tender. Remove from dish, and pat dry.
- 3. Wrap each whole endive with prosciutto, and pierce with a toothpick to secure. Place each piece directly on grill and cook, turning occasionally, until ham is browned and endive is tender, approximately 3 minutes.
- 4. Place in a disposable foil baking dish, and sprinkle with the cheese. Return to the grill, cover, and continue cooking until cheese has melted.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 275.9 kcal
carbohydrates: 17.3 g
protein: 19 g
saturated fat: 8.2 g
cholesterol: 48.8 mg
sodium: 498.1 mg
fiber: 15.9 g
sugar: 1.4 g