Like a pretzel, this bread has a salty brown crust and a tender texture--perfect for sandwiches.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, or more as needed
- 3 quarts water
- ¾ cup baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1. Heat milk and butter until warm (100 degrees to 110 degrees F); the butter will not completely melt. Combine with undissolved yeast and brown sugar in a large mixer bowl. Stir in salt and 2 cups flour, beat for 3 minutes. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 3. Combine boiling solution and bring to a boil. Punch dough down and divide into 2 equal pieces. Form each piece into a tight, smooth ball. Boil each loaf in the solution for 2 minutes, turning after 1 minute. Remove loaves from pot using a slotted spoon and place on a greased baking sheet.
- 4. Brush with egg wash and cut a cross in the top. Bake for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 10 to 12 minutes until the loaves are evenly browned. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
serving: 2 (7-inch) loaves
calories: 157.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 27.1 g
protein: 4.7 g
saturated fat: 1.6 g
cholesterol: 22.2 mg
sodium: 4155.6 mg
fiber: 0.8 g
sugar: 3.3 g