Feijoada de Domingo (Sunday Bean Stew)
A very traditional Brazilian stew made with black beans, sausage, and all the tasty bits of pork. For a traditional Brazilian spread, serve hot with white rice and collard greens. You can look for the greens in Caribbean markets, but if unavailable try kale instead.
- 8 quarts water, divided
- 2 pounds dried black beans, rinsed
- 4 bay leaves
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound dried beef, cut into pieces
- ½ pound smoked pork ribs
- 2 unsalted pig's feet
- 1 smoked sausage, cut into pieces
- 1 pound spicy sausage, cut into pieces
- ½ pound bacon, cut into large pieces
- ¼ pound pork belly, cut in half
- 1 unsalted pig's ear, cut into thirds
- 2 unsalted pig's tails
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ pound bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 bunches fresh parsley, chopped
- 1. Combine 6 quarts water, black beans, bay leaves, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan. Bring to boil; simmer for 50 minutes.
- 2. Bring remaining 2 quarts water to boil in a large saucepan. Stir in dried beef, pork ribs, and pig's feet; simmer until flavors combine, about 25 minutes. Add smoked sausage, spicy sausage, large bacon pieces, pork belly, pig's ear, and pig's tails; simmer until meat mixture is softened, about 25 minutes.
- 3. Stir meat mixture to the bean mixture; simmer until flavors combine, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add garlic. Cook until warmed through, about 45 seconds; transfer to bean mixture. Add small bacon pieces to the skillet; cook and stir until lightly golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in onion; cook until onion is soft and browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley.
- 5. Stir the onion mixture into the bean mixture; simmer until tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer meat mixture to a serving dish. Pour beans into a separate serving dish.
serving: 10 servings
calories: 845.3 kcal
carbohydrates: 61.9 g
protein: 61 g
saturated fat: 13 g
cholesterol: 155.4 mg
sodium: 2297.1 mg
fiber: 14.6 g
sugar: 4.3 g