Instant Pot® Barbacoa
This recipe for Instant Pot® barbacoa is lightly spicy and extremely easy! Serve meat on freshly made corn tortillas with pickled onions and cilantro.
- 3 dried guajillo chile peppers
- 3 dried pasilla chile peppers
- 1 (4 pound) beef chuck roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 onion, quartered
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Place chile peppers in a large bowl and cover with hot water. Soak until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add chuck roast and season with salt and pepper. Cook meat until dark brown and crispy on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes.
- 3. While meat cooks, combine softened chile peppers, onion, vinegar, garlic, lime juice, cumin, oregano, agave nectar, and cinnamon in a blender. Process sauce until smooth.
- 4. Transfer browned meat and all juices to a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®). Stir in sauce from the blender. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 60 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- 5. Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 382.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 8.2 g
protein: 27.4 g
saturated fat: 10.2 g
cholesterol: 103.3 mg
sodium: 88.9 mg
fiber: 1.9 g
sugar: 3.2 g