Tomato and Bacon Jam
This was given to my mom by her best friend who is a southern girl at heart. It is a sweet and savory flavor that you never forget. Try it with a grilled cheese or on scrambled eggs...you can put it on anything!
- ½ pound smoked bacon
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 yellow sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®)
- 1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on paper towels. Crumble bacon when cool.
- 2. Stir tomatoes, sweet onion, sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt, black pepper, and hot sauce together in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Stir in crumbled bacon and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the spread is very thick, about 1 hour. Adjust salt and black pepper.
- 3. Cool and spoon into a 1-pint glass jar with a lid; keeps refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 2 months. If freezing, put spread into small jars and let jars thaw in refrigerator overnight before using.
serving: 10 servings
calories: 140.7 kcal
carbohydrates: 25.1 g
protein: 3.7 g
saturated fat: 1 g
cholesterol: 8.1 mg
sodium: 527.8 mg
fiber: 1.4 g
sugar: 23 g