Sausage-Stuffed Cheesy Acorn Squash
Acorn squash filled with a sausage, onion, and celery mixture and topped with Cheddar-Jack cheese.
- 2 acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese, divided
- aluminum foil
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. Slice a small piece off the rounded side of each acorn half so it will sit evenly; place on the prepared baking sheet, flesh-sides up.
- 3. Roast in the preheated oven until tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove squash and reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 4. Meanwhile, cook sausage in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until until browned and just done, about 5 minutes. Transfer sausage to a bowl and keep warm. Drain and discard grease from skillet. Melt butter in the skillet, then add celery and onion. Saute until onions are soft and transparent, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add parsley, salt, and pepper.
- 5. Stir sausage into the mushroom-onion mixture. Turn off heat and mix in 1/4 cup Cheddar-Jack cheese. Divide mixture evenly amongst the 4 squash halves and sprinkle with remaining Cheddar-Jack cheese. Cover the baking dish with foil.
- 6. Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
serving: 4 stuffed squash halves
calories: 1064.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 65.2 g
protein: 45.6 g
saturated fat: 31.4 g
cholesterol: 195.1 mg
sodium: 2525.8 mg
fiber: 10.3 g
sugar: 16.3 g