A very traditional stollen that I make every Christmas. This stollen is loaded with dried fruit, candied citrus and orange peel, and almonds.
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces compressed fresh yeast
- 1 pinch white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lukewarm milk
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups chopped blanched almonds
- 1 ¼ cups raisins
- 6 tablespoons candied lemon peel
- 6 tablespoons chopped candied orange peel
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place flour in a large bowl, make a well in the center, and crumble fresh yeast into it. Sprinkle in sugar and add 1 tablespoon milk. Cover and let rise at a warm place for 15 minutes.
- 2. Heat 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a saucepan over low heat until butter is melted.
- 3. Pour milk-butter mixture over yeast mixture and add 1 cup sugar, egg yolks, and salt. Knead until a soft dough forms. Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- 4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 5. Mix almonds, raisins, candied lemon peel, and candied orange peel together and fold into the dough. Shape dough into a loaf and place on the prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rest until the loaf has risen again slightly, about 30 minutes.
- 6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 7. Bake in the preheated oven until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven. Brush hot stollen immediately with 2 tablespoons melted butter and dust with confectioners' sugar.
serving: 24 servings
calories: 395.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 56.8 g
protein: 8 g
saturated fat: 6.9 g
cholesterol: 43.8 mg
sodium: 72.5 mg
fiber: 3.1 g
sugar: 17.7 g