Country Manor Breakfast Tart
I couldn't believe all the heavenly tastes and textures in this dish when I first tried it. It takes a bit of work but definitely worth the effort!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ¾ cups shortening
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup finely diced smoked ham
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 8 eggs, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, diced
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 1. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, egg, and vinegar. Mix together but do not work too much. Divide pastry into two pieces, cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Form each piece into a round and roll out crust on lightly floured surface. Carefully fit into two 10 inch tart pans.
- 3. Blind bake tart shells in preheated oven until golden brown. Let cool.
- 4. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- 5. Saute onion in butter until translucent. Divide ham, bacon and onion into two equal portions and sprinkle over the bottom of tart shells.
- 6. Whisk together cream and beaten eggs. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, basil, and thyme, and stir well. Pour egg mixture over bacon mixture. Sprinkle cream cheese cubes and grated Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses over the top of each filled tart. Sprinkle green onions over cheese, followed by sliced almonds.
- 7. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly, then cut and serve.
serving: 2 10 inch tarts
calories: 494.7 kcal
carbohydrates: 23 g
protein: 10 g
saturated fat: 16.7 g
cholesterol: 130.7 mg
sodium: 492.9 mg
fiber: 1.3 g
sugar: 1.7 g