Atsara (Papaya Relish)
This Filipino relish is made normally with very fresh green papayas. Sauerkraut can also be used.
- 4 cups grated fresh green papaya
- ¼ cup salt
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into long strips
- 1 (2 inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced
- 2 green chile peppers, sliced into thin rings
- 1 (1.5 ounce) box raisins
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Toss the grated papaya with 1/4 cup salt together in a large bowl; allow to sit for 1 hour. Drain the liquid from the papaya and rinse thoroughly. Place the papaya in the middle of a large piece of cheesecloth and squeeze to drain as much liquid from the papaya as possible.
- 2. Combine the papaya, carrot, red bell pepper, ginger, green chile peppers, and raisins together in a clean large bowl; mix. Transfer the mixture to clean, dry jars with lids.
- 3. Stir the vinegar, water, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt together in a small saucepan; bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Pour the vinegar mixture into the jars, making sure the vegetables are completely submerged in liquid. Allow the vegetables to marinate in the liquid at least 1 day before using. Store in refrigerator between uses.
serving: 10 servings
calories: 111.9 kcal
carbohydrates: 28.2 g
protein: 1 g
sodium: 241 mg
fiber: 1.7 g
sugar: 24.7 g