Instant Pot® Chinese Black Pepper Chicken with Celery
Quick, easy, and delicious Chinese black pepper chicken made in the Instant Pot®. Just like takeout. Pressure cooking time is just 4 minutes for either fresh or frozen cut-up chicken pieces. I use Foster Farms® frozen chicken pieces I get in a bag at Costco. I've experimented with the timing many, many times and 4 minutes is just right. Just follow my directions below. Serve with rice or noodles.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, sliced, or more to taste
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 ½ pounds frozen cubed chicken
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1. Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Add onion and celery and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Turn off Saute function. Add chicken broth, garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, and pepper; stir to combine. Set frozen chicken on top and do not stir.
- 2. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 4 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- 3. Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid. Stir to mix, then stir in sesame oil.
- 4. Select Saute function. Mix water and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Add to the bubbling liquid and stir until sauce has somewhat thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.