Zucchini Noodles and Butternut Squash in a Garlic-Lemon Sauce
I made this dish as one of the recipes for a charity event to benefit Place of Hope. We received amazing vegetables as donations and I thought this dish would be perfect. I wish we had grabbed a photo of my friend Suhiel spiralizing an entire box of zucchini. You can add poultry or seafood to make this dish hearty or enjoy as is for a perfect side dish or vegetarian option. Enjoy!
- 1 small butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large zucchini, ends cut and spiralized
- 1 clove garlic, minced, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste
- ⅓ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. Arrange butternut squash into a single layer over the prepared pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Bake squash in the preheated oven, turning halfway, until browned and softened, about 35 minutes.
- 4. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, garlic, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until zucchini is tender, about 4 minutes. Mix in baked squash and lemon juice until just combined. Top with Parmesan cheese.