TK's Forbidden Black Rice Salad
This fresh, delicious, and healthy dish is loved by everyone at first bite. It is made with forbidden rice, which has been eaten in China for centuries. It's full of fiber, vitamins, antioxidants, and flavor. It somehow manages to give one a sense of well-being, peace, and energy at the same time. It is filling without leaving you with a feeling of being stuffed. Delicious! Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
- 8 cups water
- 2 (15 ounce) packages black rice (such as Lotus® forbidden rice)
- 1 ½ cups rice vinegar
- ¾ cup tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- ⅓ cup sesame oil
- ⅓ cup mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
- ¼ cup sriracha sauce
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped Thai basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped purple basil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1. Bring water and rice to a boil in a pot. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Transfer rice to a large bowl, fluff with a fork, and cool until just warm.
- 2. Whisk rice vinegar, tamari, sesame oil, mirin, sriracha sauce, and agave nectar together in a bowl until dressing is smooth. Pour dressing over cooled rice; stir.
- 3. Stir carrots, cashews, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, orange bell pepper, scallions, Thai basil, purple basil, and jalapeno into rice until evenly distributed.
serving: 16 servings
calories: 323.7 kcal
carbohydrates: 51.4 g
protein: 7.5 g
saturated fat: 1.4 g
sodium: 972.9 mg
fiber: 1.7 g
sugar: 6.2 g