Grilled Game Hens with Blood Orange and Rosemary
Give this grilled game hen recipe a try. The secret ingredient for this marinade is the exotic blood orange. They add a wonderful sweet/tart flavor that's just perfect with the spicy chili sauce and aromatic rosemary.
- 2 Cornish game hens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 blood orange, juiced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili garlic sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Place game hens in a large bowl; drizzle hens with olive oil and blood orange juice. Sprinkle with chopped rosemary and rosemary sprigs. Add Asian chili paste to hens; season with salt and pepper. Stir chickens in the seasonings and juice to coat. Use your fingers to loosen the skin over the breasts and spread a little of the marinade under the skin.
- 2. Refrigerate with breast sides down for 2 hours to marinate.
- 3. Preheat outdoor grill (preferably charcoal) for medium heat (one layer of coals). Drain chickens and discard marinade.
- 4. Place chickens with breast sides down onto grill and cover with grill lid with the vents open. Cook until breast sides are evenly browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Flip chickens and cook on their backs with cover (vents open) until the juices run clear, hip joints move easily, and meat is no longer pink inside. An instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh reads at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C), 30 to 35 more minutes.
- 5. Close the grill vents on the lid halfway. Flip chickens back onto breasts, close lid, and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
serving: 2 game hens
calories: 382.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 5.6 g
protein: 26.1 g
saturated fat: 6.8 g
cholesterol: 151 mg
sodium: 233 mg
fiber: 1.3 g