Crispy Fried Calamari
Bye-bye, rubbery calamari! Frozen calamari rings are first soaked in milk to tenderize them, then coated with a mixture of corn flour and gluten-free all-purpose flour before deep frying. Simple, easy, and tasty! Good served with cocktail sauce, garlic mayonnaise, or other dipping sauces and lemon wedges. Regular all-purpose flour may be substituted if you don't need to make these gluten free.
- 1 pound frozen calamari rings
- 2 cups 2% milk, or as needed
- ½ cup corn flour
- ½ cup gluten-free all purpose baking flour
- oil for frying
- 1. Separate calamari rings and place them in a lidded plastic container with enough milk to cover them. Seal the container and allow to soak at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- 2. Heat the oil in a deep fryer.
- 3. Combine corn flour and gluten-free all-purpose flour in a shallow pan. Transfer about 6 calamari rings from the milk directly into the flour mixture to coat. Place coated calamari into the hot oil without crowding, and cook until just starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining calamari.