White Pizza Sauce
Great for vegetable pizza, meat pizza, or pasta. Brush your favorite pizza dough with olive oil, spread sauce, add your favorite toppings, and bake per dough instructions. Also great for calzones or chicken, or chicken and broccoli with fettucine. Makes enough sauce for 2 medium pizzas. Freezes beautifully. Just thaw at room temperature.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, or more as needed
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1. Heat butter and olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until tender and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add flour and whisk until flour is lightly browned and onion is translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2. Mix milk, Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, salt, and black pepper into onion mixture. Cook, whisking continuously, until cheese is melted and sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
serving: 2 pizzas
calories: 364.7 kcal
carbohydrates: 18.5 g
protein: 13.5 g
saturated fat: 13.3 g
cholesterol: 57.9 mg
sodium: 730.1 mg
fiber: 0.8 g
sugar: 6.8 g