Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies
These cookies are great for kids of all ages. I usually double the recipe when I make them. Using a cookie scoop and soda bottle cap to make the indentations results in uniform cookies, which makes a nice presentation. But you can improvise with other lids; just aim for something about the size of a quarter. Use any variety of jelly, but I do not recommend jelly with chunks of fruit, like strawberry. Attempting to move the cookies prior to cooling completely will cause them to break.
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- 2. Beat butter, peanut butter, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla together in a separate bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl with a rubber spatula. Add egg to butter mixture and beat on medium speed until blended. Scrape side of bowl down again.
- 3. Beat flour mixture into butter mixture on low speed until just blended. Scrape bowl and mix a few more seconds.
- 4. Scoop dough into 2 tablespoon-sized balls and arrange on a baking sheet. Cover baking sheet and refrigerate at least 4 hours (overnight is ideal).
- 5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper and arrange cookie balls atop paper.
- 6. Bake cookies in the preheated oven until partially cooked, 11 minutes.
- 7. Place raspberry jam in a bowl and stir until syrup consistency.
- 8. Press a soda bottle cap into the center of each cookie until edges of cookies bulge and begin to crack, making an indentation. Fill each indentation with about 1 teaspoon jam.
- 9. Bake cookies until edges are lightly browned, 7 minutes longer. Cool cookies completely on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack.
serving: 30 cookies
calories: 132 kcal
carbohydrates: 17.7 g
protein: 2.4 g
saturated fat: 2.6 g
cholesterol: 14.3 mg
sodium: 70.2 mg
fiber: 0.5 g
sugar: 11.3 g