A satisfyingly rich and hearty casserole from the Pennsylvania Dutch country.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (12 ounce) package wide egg noodles
- 10 slices American cheese
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain and return to the pan. Mix in the cream of chicken soup until noodles are coated.
- 3. Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain the grease, and stir in the tomato soup, brown sugar, pepper and salt. Spread half of the beef in the bottom of a greased 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Arrange 5 slices of cheese over the beef. Top with half of the noodles, then repeat layers ending with cheese on top.
- 4. Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is browned and sauce is bubbly.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 629.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 57 g
protein: 33.1 g
saturated fat: 14.4 g
cholesterol: 141.5 mg
sodium: 1472.1 mg
fiber: 2.1 g
sugar: 11 g