Arron's Shrimp and Grits
My take on a low-country classic.
- 3 cups shrimp stock, divided
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 ½ pounds uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped green onion, or to taste
- 1. Bring 2 cups shrimp stock to a boil in a saucepan; reduce heat to low and let the stock simmer.
- 2. Whisk cornmeal with remaining 1 cup shrimp stock in a bowl until smooth. Whisk the moistened cornmeal into the simmering shrimp stock. Stir grits occasionally until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in butter until incorporated. Mix in sharp Cheddar cheese, about 1 tablespoon at a time, until cheese has smoothly melted into grits.
- 3. Bring grits back to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until tender, 15 to 20 more minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- 4. While grits are simmering, heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir celery until tender, 3 to 4 minutes; stir in onion, green bell pepper, thyme, and oregano. Cook and stir vegetables until onion is translucent, 7 to 8 minutes.
- 5. Mix tomato sauce into cooked vegetables and simmer for about 5 minutes to blend the flavors; stir in the sour cream to make a sauce.
- 6. Stir shrimp into the sauce with vegetables and cover skillet. Bring sauce to a simmer, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until shrimp are pink and no longer translucent in the middle, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 7. To serve, turn grits into a large shallow serving bowl and arrange shrimp over the grits using tongs. Pour sauce and vegetables over shrimp and grits; season to taste with hot pepper sauce and sprinkle with green onion.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 336.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 26.3 g
protein: 26.5 g
saturated fat: 5.1 g
cholesterol: 192.8 mg
sodium: 864.7 mg
fiber: 3.1 g
sugar: 4 g