Mashed Chipotle Sweet Potatoes
This dish is a favorite in our home during the holiday season. The smoky heat of the chipotle chile and the sweet potato's natural sweetness balance each other beautifully. Adjust the amount of chipotle peppers to suit your taste, and don't overbeat the potatoes so they keep some chunky texture.
- 5 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish, and set aside. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Pierce each sweet potato several times with a fork, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- 2. Roast the sweet potatoes in preheated oven until easily pierced with a fork, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the oven, and cool about 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 3. When sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut in half, and scoop flesh into a mixing bowl. Discard potato skins. Beat the sweet potatoes with the chipotle peppers, butter, and salt; spread evenly in the prepared baking dish. This can baked now or refrigerated until the next day.
- 4. Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, 20 to 25 minutes.