Greek Sausage: Sheftalia
Nice change to eat at a barbecue. Crispy seasoned sausages with a nice flavor. Eat in a pita with chopped tomato, parsley, onion, cucumber, and tahini. Add plenty of lemon. Yummy.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- ½ pound caul fat
- 10 skewers
- 1. In a medium bowl, mix together the ground pork, onion, parsley, salt and pepper.
- 2. Fill a bowl with warm water, and add the vinegar. Dip the caul fat into the water, and keep submerged for 1 minute to wash. Rinse in cold water. Carefully open up the caul fat on a clean work surface, and cut into 4 inch (10 cm) squares.
- 3. Place a small compressed handful of the sausage near the edge of one square. Fold the sides over, and roll up firmly. Repeat with remaining meat and fat until you have about 10 sausages.
- 4. Prepare a charcoal grill for high heat. Place sausages onto skewers.
- 5. Grill the sausages for 20 minutes, turning frequently until the outside is crispy and dark, and the inside is no longer pink.
serving: 3 servings
calories: 1069.9 kcal
carbohydrates: 5.7 g
protein: 27.7 g
saturated fat: 51.5 g
cholesterol: 160.4 mg
sodium: 97.1 mg
fiber: 1 g
sugar: 2.5 g