My adaptation of an old Filipino recipe for boat tarts, but twice as easy and twice as good.
- cooking spray
- 1 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 (12 ounce) jars macapuno strings
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Prepare a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2. Spread one of the puff pastries into the bottom of the prepared baking dish, stretching so it reaches the edges.
- 3. Bake pastry in preheated oven until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg yolks in a stainless steel bowl until smooth. Add macapuno strings, softened butter, and vanilla to the egg yolks; stir.
- 5. Place the stainless steel bowl over a pot of boiling water; cook the macapuno mixture, stirring frequently, until it thickens, about 5 minutes. Pour over the baked puff pasty and spread into an even layer. Stretch the unbaked puff pastry over the top of the macapuno layer.
- 6. Bake in preheated oven until top layer is golden brown, about 18 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
serving: 1 9x13-inch baking dish
calories: 296.2 kcal
carbohydrates: 37 g
protein: 2.9 g
saturated fat: 4.8 g
cholesterol: 75.1 mg
sodium: 78 mg
fiber: 2.1 g
sugar: 0.2 g