A delicious take on everyone's two favorite appetizers - Buffalo wings and fried calamari! Fresh, homemade calamari drizzled with blue cheese and hot sauce, topped with a cooling tomato relish. Hard to give a serving size, as my daughter Evan and I finish a whole recipe between us, or I'll make a plate for myself (only) as an entree! The beauty is, you can adjust just about all of the ingredients to taste!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 pound baby calamari - rinsed, dried, and sliced into rings
- vegetable oil for frying
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese, or to taste
- ¼ cup blue cheese salad dressing, or to taste
- ¼ cup Buffalo wing sauce (such as Frank's RedHot®), or to taste
- 1. Combine flour, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a resealable plastic bag and shake to combine. Add calamari and make sure all pieces are coated.
- 2. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium to medium-high heat to 395 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 3. While oil heats, combine tomatoes, onion, and celery in a bowl. Set tomato relish aside.
- 4. Shake excess flour from calamari and drop calamari into the hot oil in batches. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute per batch. Drain on paper towels. Transfer cooked calamari to a serving plate.
- 5. Top with crumbled blue cheese, blue cheese salad dressing, hot sauce, and a sprinkling of tomato relish.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 886.7 kcal
carbohydrates: 36.8 g
protein: 22.5 g
saturated fat: 11.9 g
cholesterol: 239 mg
sodium: 1270 mg
fiber: 1.4 g
sugar: 1.7 g