Cheese Torte with Chicken and Mushroom
This multi-layered savory crepe cake is made with two types of cheesy crepes and a filling of mushrooms, chicken, and cream cheese. It's a Russian favorite for special occasions.
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 bunch fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or as needed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh dill, chopped, or to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) package diced cooked chicken
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1. Beat eggs with 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise in a bowl. Add Gouda cheese and flour; mix well. Pour 1/2 the batter into another bowl.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook grated carrot while stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot to 1 portion of batter; mix a small bunch of dill into the other portion.
- 3. Heat a nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Pour in 2 tablespoons of one of the batters; immediately rotate the pan in a circular motion to spread. Cook until edges are crispy, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip until browned and dry on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with all the batters, ending up with a stack of dill crepes and a stack of carrot crepes.
- 4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a separate skillet over medium-low heat. Cook onion, while stirring, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- 5. Blend cream cheese and 1/2 cup mayonnaise together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper; add garlic and 2 sprigs dill.
- 6. Spread a portion of cream cheese mixture over a dill crepe; add a layer of the mushroom-onion saute. Top with a carrot crepe, spread with more cream cheese, and top with some of the chicken. Repeat layers until all crepes are used up. Decorate with thinly sliced cucumber. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve.
serving: 10 servings
calories: 561 kcal
carbohydrates: 9.2 g
protein: 23 g
saturated fat: 16.5 g
cholesterol: 172.9 mg
sodium: 602.6 mg
fiber: 0.9 g
sugar: 2.9 g