Canning Pizza or Spaghetti Sauce from Fresh Tomatoes
This can be used for either pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce. It can be canned or frozen. Store canned tomato sauce in a cool, dark area.
- 20 pounds fresh Roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup red wine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped red sweet pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1. Fill a large pot with water; bring to a boil. Fill a bowl with ice water. Place tomatoes into the boiling water, working in batches, 30 to 45 seconds. Remove from the boiling water; plunge into ice water. Peel off tomato skins; cut in half. Remove the seeds using your finger or a spoon. Place in a colander to drain.
- 2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; place onion into the skillet. Cook and stir until the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Combine tomatoes, onion, lemon juice, red wine, garlic, celery, basil, red sweet pepper, salt, bay leaves, and ground black pepper in a large pot over medium heat; cook and stir over until tomatoes break down and sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- 4. Sterilize 8 pint-size jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack tomato sauce into hot, sterilized jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the top. Top with clean lids and screw on rings.
- 5. Fill water bath canner with water according to manufacturer's instructions. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Process for 35 minutes for pints.
- 6. Remove the jars from the water bath canner and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool, 8 hours to overnight. Press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
serving: 8 pints
calories: 61.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 12.5 g
protein: 2.7 g
saturated fat: 0.1 g
sodium: 160.5 mg
fiber: 3.6 g
sugar: 8 g