Middle Eastern Rice with Black Beans and Chickpeas
I got this recipe from a friend who is from Bethlehem. The flavors are just delicious. The possibilities of add-ins are endless.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 bunch chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute. Stir in rice, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, then pour in chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- 2. Place the turkey in a skillet over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown.
- 3. Gently mix cooked turkey, garbanzo beans, black beans, cilantro, parsley, and pine nuts into the cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 452.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 55.7 g
protein: 30.7 g
saturated fat: 2.5 g
cholesterol: 65.4 mg
sodium: 1174.3 mg
fiber: 11.8 g
sugar: 0.8 g